Monday, August 6, 2012

The Pianist and its brilliance

Hola! Yesterday, I watched The Pianist. I know, I know, I don't really need to review a movie that won 3 Oscars and is at #51 on the IMDb Top 250, but the film has had such a great impact on me that it's been 24 hours since I watched it and I'm still thinking about it. 

If you haven't watched the movie, read ahead on your own discretion. There can't really be any spoilers for this movie, but just saying, don't blame me.

The movie starts off with Wladyslaw Szpilman and his family living in Warsaw. The family is articulate, posh, happy and of course, Jewish. The movie shows Szpillman's journey through the holocaust and how he survived by hiding in apartments, hiding in a hospital, living on potatoes and bread throughout the war. 

I've seen a bunch of Holocaust movies before, like Schindler's List, Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, Life is Beautiful etc, but none of them really showed the lives of the Jews before they entered the concentration camps, so at least for me, I could sympathise with the Jews, but it never really left me devastated the way The Pianist did, because I was rooting for Szpillman's family all along. 

Also, I'm not a fighter. If I were in the protagonists' place, I would've given up long back and committed suicide, but he actually survived and when I saw the final scene, I had goosebumps, and I was ashamed of myself and I wanted to dance with joy, all at the same time. 

Its gut wrenching, beautiful, different. If you haven't watched it already, believe me, you're missing out on something huge. This is film making at its best. Not only is The Pianist the best Holocaust movie in my opinion, its my personal favorite movie of all times, solely because it evoked so many emotions out of me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment